World of Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World of Cichlids

Discuss and learn about the world of Cichlids

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nitrites in our town water?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Breninoz

Breninoz

Nitrites in our town water? Empty
PostSubject: Nitrites in our town water?   Nitrites in our town water? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 5:28 am

hi guys,
just shifted all the tanks and we've been having a few problems with our water,anyway today we tested the water strait out of the tap and too our horror nitrites were very very high.Would anyway know any way of curing our water before putting it into tanks? We obviously can't afford distillers etc so any home made remedies?

Thanks

Bren
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishgeeks.com.au
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Nitrites in our town water?   Nitrites in our town water? Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm

i use prime as my water conditioner it dropped my nitrates and my nitrites. from what ive read it reacts with harmful products in the water instantly. Its made by seachem.
Nitrites in our town water? Au_th_901187_FS31394-i
Back to top Go down
Breninoz

Breninoz

PostSubject: Re: Nitrites in our town water?   Nitrites in our town water? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 5:37 am

Ok, partly fixed.

We went and told the local council and because we had water tests and things to back our complaint . They sent out the water facility people strait away to test the water.It's affecting our street only in our area but however the levels of nitrites are so high that they are toxic already. We are getting a kg of purigen in the next few weeks so looks like we will be fine Smile

Thanks for help guys

Bren
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishgeeks.com.au
ddyerfamily

ddyerfamily

PostSubject: Re: Nitrites in our town water?   Nitrites in our town water? Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 8:35 am

Hello

I also was having problems with my city water but with nitrates.

I now use 2 big trash cans (rubbermaid) to hold water.(Do not use hard/rigid plastic cans)
I allow the water to age a day or two.(rain water can also be collected but also must be tested for bad ingredents ~ This will most likely be softer water than your tap also)

I Put bubblers,a small pump,salt,and store brand chemical water treatments in the water cans.
At first I test alot to make sure I was removing most the nitrate/nitrites/ammo..

My fish room is in my basement with multiple tanks.
I use a 4 wheel dolly/cart to roll the cans to the tanks.(not seen in pics)
Then I use the small pond size pumps with a short hose (6ft) to pump water from cans to tanks. ( no buckets ! no back pain... Laughing )

I still use 5 gallon buckets to rinse out filters with tank water.

Nitrites in our town water? Fishro15

Nitrites in our town water? Fishro16
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ddyerfamily
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nitrites in our town water?   Nitrites in our town water? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nitrites in our town water?
Page 1 of 1