World of Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World of Cichlids

Discuss and learn about the world of Cichlids

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ammonia in tap water??

Go down 
+2
joneh
sforys
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sforys

sforys

Ammonia in tap water?? Empty
PostSubject: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 7:19 pm

All i have to say is WTF??? i live in toronto, the largest city in Canada and my tap water has such messed up levels. i thought we were supposed to have great water treatment.

Nitrate 5ppm
Ammonia 0.5ppm

I dont understand this at all. I tested 2 different taps in my house. Anything i could do to get rid of the ammonia and the nitrates. No wonder my tank isnt cycling properly. what is the point of changing the water if its not gonna get rid of any of my nitrates??
Back to top Go down
joneh

joneh

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 9:25 pm

sforys wrote:
All i have to say is WTF??? i live in toronto, the largest city in Canada and my tap water has such messed up levels. i thought we were supposed to have great water treatment.

Nitrate 5ppm
Ammonia 0.5ppm

I dont understand this at all. I tested 2 different taps in my house. Anything i could do to get rid of the ammonia and the nitrates. No wonder my tank isnt cycling properly. what is the point of changing the water if its not gonna get rid of any of my nitrates??

thats why mississauga is better Razz lol joke it might be ur pipes in ur house...ill test my tap water tommorrow and get back to you on the results.... i think both mississauga and toronto have the same water treatment
Back to top Go down
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 5:37 am

do you think i should test the water for my hose outside?
Back to top Go down
khaki

khaki

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 9:14 am

yes test every water you can. if your hose has high ammonia....then i guess you have to test your drinking water...
Back to top Go down
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 10:44 am

i tested the water closest to my tank. the hose is what im gonna check next.
Back to top Go down
bossyboy

bossyboy

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 11:52 am

oh man that sux, im checking mine too now, lol
r we gonna try goin 2 fanatics on friday?
Back to top Go down
MbunaMan25

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 1:56 pm

I think it maybe your pipes because Ammonia is not good for humans either. Call your city's water and sanitation department and ask them if they have changed anything or added anything. Also see if you could get what their levels are.
Back to top Go down
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 2:56 pm

i've heard that more water treatment plants are using chloramine which has ammonia in it. NH2Cl so that might be why im getting the readings. confused Chris tell me what ur results are like as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure about finatics on friday. But u never know with my water. lol!
Back to top Go down
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey if anyone is still paying attention to this post i have found a way to solve my problems. PRIME, in my opinion one of the greatest water conditioners ever invented. I put it in my water just this saturday, everything is at zero except nitrates which have dropped from 15ppm all the way to 7ppm. If you can get it, do. This stuff is way more potent than other conditioners i've used. 5ml treats my whole tank and it brings down every single thing that is bad for the fish. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
roachonius

roachonius

PostSubject: lol   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 7:10 am

i was just about to say you should try PRIME....then i seen ya last post lol
that should work out just fine for ya
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/cichlids4ever
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ammonia in tap water??   Ammonia in tap water?? Icon_minitime