World of Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World of Cichlids

Discuss and learn about the world of Cichlids

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are convicts good parents????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
roachonius

roachonius

Are convicts good parents???? Empty
PostSubject: Are convicts good parents????   Are convicts good parents???? Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:00 am

heres a video of what my male did to my female convict......they were in a tank together for a good while and have spawned multiple times......all of a sudden the male freaks out and eats all the fry and tries to kill the female....heres the day it happened and the following day also....

and yes shes still alive Very Happy Very Happy cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/cichlids4ever
khaki

khaki

PostSubject: Re: Are convicts good parents????   Are convicts good parents???? Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 4:37 pm

looks like they need a divorce. lol
Back to top Go down
roachonius

roachonius

PostSubject: yeah   Are convicts good parents???? Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 5:01 pm

and trust me if i would have known this was gonna happen id have seperated em, but they ben together since about 1.5inch and never had a problem
Back to top Go down
ortamenxs

ortamenxs

PostSubject: Re: Are convicts good parents????   Are convicts good parents???? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 3:07 pm

This pair you'll have to seperate after breeding.

Generally they are awesome parents. but a couple things could of happened.

If mom or dad think the other parent is hurting the fry they will attack each other. Something sucking a fry into thier mouth clean it turns into a battle between mom and dad. Dad could of thought mom was eating the fry.

The other thing, if the convict thought there was a threat, net, hand, cat watching through the glass, tv too loud by the tank, ect. . . . . . . . then they are apt to eat thier own fry. That way the predator gets no meal, and they can re use the energy to produce another batch. If one parent thinks there is a threat, and the other doesn't they will battle over the saftey of the fry.

Possibly dad wanted to breed again, and mom didn't. That will cause a fight, and the male to kill the fry to try and get the female to breed again. These personalities have to be seperated from thier fry.

And occasionally you get a bad parent. This is the first time I've seen this happen with convicts. I have seen them attack fry after they get bigger, and they see them as a threat to thier mate/territory.

Glad mom was ok.
Back to top Go down
roachonius

roachonius

PostSubject: cool   Are convicts good parents???? Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 4:38 pm

see thats the deal though, they have been together for a few years now together and never had a problem, also their in a tank in my bedroom and theres hardly any disturbance at all to them in there.

all i can think is maybe for once he wanted to spawn and she wasnt ready. whatever happened it sucks lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are convicts good parents????   Are convicts good parents???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are convicts good parents????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World of Cichlids :: Species Discussion :: South and Central american cichlids.-
Jump to: