World of Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World of Cichlids

Discuss and learn about the world of Cichlids

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Red Devil keeping

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ortamenxs

ortamenxs

Red Devil keeping Empty
PostSubject: Red Devil keeping   Red Devil keeping Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:06 pm

I'd like to throw out some red devil tips, I've seen these booming in pet stores recently. Some facts for consideration if you want one of these beasts. Make sure you get a Red Devil (RD), I've seen several places selling Midas as RD. RD's usually have lighter bellies and fins, and smaller more narrow heads. Also a RD likes big tanks, they will get huge, 50 gal +. Also the RD won't only tear up your plants but also eat them. I'd suggest feeding a mix, or rotating with shrimp and algae or plankton wafers, RD's are omnivore. 75-80 temp, higher 70's and 80+ will make them grow faster, but I've found keeping these at at 85, which is what pet stores will suggest 90% of the time is too high, it forces the fish to stay active and stresses the RD.

Now onto the big part with RDs. Some, ok most, are very aggressive. They are bullies, chasers, and will kill smaller fish (as well as tear up your tank to do so) I'm sure there are some tame communal RD's, but you drop one in tank be prepared for a possible war. From my experience I've seen a RD the same size as the other fish, kill a JD, Tex, Firemouth, Severum, and Peacock. Not in my tank, but I advised a friend about the RD attitude who thought a RD would balance out his tank, where the Tex was the bully, it didn't balance the "power" it wiped out his tank over a week. Don't leave anything in with a breeding pair, the RD's are just as viscous as convicts at defending there fry. They will breed on most any flat surface (even witnessed the side of the tank being used as a breeding ground), and it is neat the fry will eat off the parents body, they produce a gel or slime for the first few weeks the young eat.

Last thoughts on the Costa Rica native RD, feed good food with support for color, mixing in Betta food helps, and you have a beautiful red fish. Also do not put stacked rocks, easily knocked over caves, or other decoration in, the RD's work best with little gravel, and a stout cave fixture. They will knock over and detroy whatever they don't like to set up their territory, sand substrate they will scatter and make your water cloudy.

Just my ideas and experiences with the RD's.
Back to top Go down
ddyerfamily

ddyerfamily

Red Devil keeping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Red Devil keeping   Red Devil keeping Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:27 pm

LOL

I agree with everything you have said here.

I have kept devils for over 4 years now.

They are by far the meanest fish I have kept.
I bleed every time I clean their tanks.No matter how hard I try not to get bitten..LOL

I have found dividing the breeding pairs is the best way to keep your fish from killing or injuring each other. The divider should have a hole cut just big enough for the female.(or smallest RD)

Using a dither fish IMO doesn't help.They will just kill it.Quickly at that.

I have had many RDs and all we were peaceful till around 5-7" then everything changes.

When they are young you can mix them with other cichlids.

I raised a Rd female with a Large Clown knife and that funny Rd thinks the knife is it's mate.
She rubs on the knife and lays eggs religiously ......

Each fish is different ......treat them with lots of respect and don't ever mix with smaller fish is my advice to anyone getting a RD.

I could write a book on keeping RDs....LOL

Any Question feel free to e-mail me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ddyerfamily

Red Devil keeping
Page 1 of 1