World of Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World of Cichlids

Discuss and learn about the world of Cichlids

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clown Loach Sparring

Go down 
+2
ddyerfamily
sforys
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sforys

sforys

Clown Loach Sparring Empty
PostSubject: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 1:55 pm

I always knew that cichlids were sometimes aggressive to one another but clown loahces. I came home and went downstairs to take a look at my tank when i looked in everything seemed fine. I looked closer and my largest clown loach (1.5") had a gray colouring to it, i thought he was stressed. Turns out the two of them were fighting for leader in the group (or at least thats what i read). They were fighting exactly like cichlids locking mouths together. Well the smallest guy now has a bite out of his left fin. Is there any reason to worry about the aggression.
Back to top Go down
ddyerfamily

ddyerfamily

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:14 pm

If you have another tank seperate them.
I have a "hospital tank" for times like this.

I remove injured fish.
Then treat with medicines and salt till healed in another tank.

If you think that they will not get along, sell the weaker fish.(after healed of course)

Just my 2 cents

Aggression between fish will lead to death by injury or stress....Always.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ddyerfamily
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:21 pm

they are perfectly fine now. I think they were just fighting for dominance of their group(Which only consists of 2). I put more fish and i'm not seeing any more fights but the bigger one has made his stripes gray almost all the time.
Back to top Go down
ortamenxs

ortamenxs

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 3:30 pm

yup you'll get fights over "territory" especially with cichlids. Just a side note, never add a new fish then feed, always add after feeding, not that has anything to do with you lol. I mix tanks, and will move fish quite often, if I see a fight break out I let them have bouts, they usually work it out. If one gets too tore up, or the figting doesn't end then it is time to move one. Of course a larger fish fighting (killing) a smaller fish needs to be seperated.

Your fish color will vary. If they feeled scared, aggressive, even the gravel you use (light gravel gives you an olive JD, dark gravel and they go almost black) so the constant stripe might be a warning, or sign of submission. I know clown loaches like cichlids will use colors to communicate(no where as advanced though), but I'm not real familar with there signs.

Best wishes!
Back to top Go down
ddyerfamily

ddyerfamily

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 3:56 pm

Sounds like you worked it all out.
That is a good thing.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 4:13 pm

from what i've read the dominant clown loach will almost always show a more greyish colour. I guess just to get the message across.
Back to top Go down
khaki

khaki

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 4:52 pm

i bought a clown loach as one of my starter fish...it lived for a year and then when i did a waterchange it died on me.... Sad
Back to top Go down
Vasbyron

Vasbyron

PostSubject: Clown loach in hard water?   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 3:06 am

I think that clowns shouldn't be in cichlid's tank!
That cute little fellow has no "scales" and it is a bit dangerous for him to live in tank with agressive cichlids and so hard water (ph: 8 - 9)!
You may not have any problems for a long time, but how can be sure for the ph ups and downs!!!

(Clowns must be in planted tanks, with rocks and woods)
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html

Sorry for my terrible english!
Back to top Go down
http://uk.youtube.com/user/vasbyron
ddyerfamily

ddyerfamily

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 9:30 am

I personally don't keep loaches.

But have to agree with above statement.

I have seen many mixed tanks these days and they do survive.
Not the best conditions for these delicate fish.

Most people I have talked with have a hard time keeping loaches longterm.

I did read they like snails...which would be great for my snail problems lol!

Here is some info I found;

Acceptable Water Conditions:
Hardness: to 5° dH
Ph: 6.0-6.5
Temp: 77-86° F (25-30° C)

This fish prefers a fairly large aquarium (30 gallons or so) with plants and places for retreat such as rocks, caves, and roots. Also use subdued lighting. They do best in soft, slightly acidic water with frequent water changes of about 10% a week. Because they are burrowers, the substrate needs to be a fine gravel or sand that does not have sharp edges. Be sure to provide hardy plants with the roots protected and have decorations firmly placed on the glass bottom so they don't fall over. Plastic tubes also make safe and excellent hiding places.

Resource=
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/loaches/ClownLoach.php
Back to top Go down
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 1:50 pm

ya i am considering giving them to one of my friends. I'm still deciding. Somtime they drive me nuts but i still do like them Smile
Back to top Go down
ddyerfamily

ddyerfamily

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 11:32 am

I like you love the look of the loach.

I would like to own a few sometime but I steer away from delicate species as a rule.

Like the discus...I can't afford to buy any fish as expensive and demanding as these guys.
Then a few days later or weeks later they die....with perfect water conditions !

Some people have the money to buy and rebuy these poor fish but I don't Sad

This doesn't mean you guys or other shouldn't keep discus or loaches just be ready to stay on top of your aquaruim water conditions and able to afford the extra equipment that may be needed to make your tap water suitable for these kinds of fish....or other delicate species.

Good Luck either way you decide Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Breninoz

Breninoz

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 7:00 am

.....i didn't know they did that, i do have a clown loach that likes beating up african cichlids though.He doesn't mind my dwarfs though so all is good Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishgeeks.com.au
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Breninoz wrote:
.....i didn't know they did that, i do have a clown loach that likes beating up african cichlids though.
Ya from the reading i have done, clown loaches get aggressive towards some other fish if they are alone in a tank.
Back to top Go down
Breninoz

Breninoz

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeMon May 12, 2008 2:41 am

yeah,if a loach feels threatened it will use the barbs on its cheeks, sometimes people pick them up with their hands and get cut by them...of course theres really no need to pick them up with your hands....
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishgeeks.com.au
ortamenxs

ortamenxs

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 6:11 pm

Breninoz wrote:
yeah,if a loach feels threatened it will use the barbs on its cheeks, sometimes people pick them up with their hands and get cut by them...of course theres really no need to pick them up with your hands....

What about when you need pet them? Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clown Loach Sparring   Clown Loach Sparring Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clown Loach Sparring
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World of Cichlids :: Miscellaneous Topics :: Other fish species compatible with cichlids-
Jump to: