World of Cichlids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World of Cichlids

Discuss and learn about the world of Cichlids

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to Improve Filter Performance

Go down 
+2
sforys
bossyboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bossyboy

bossyboy

How to Improve Filter Performance Empty
PostSubject: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Alright, so I've seen a couple of little DIY's on how to make your filter better, but they all seem very confusing and hard to understand, so I'll try my hand at writing one

This tutorial is written using an Aqueon (formerly "All Glass Aquariums" I think) filter, as you can see in the picture

How to Improve Filter Performance IMG_1770

Normally, your filter will contain some sort of cartridges, for this one, there's a tall rectangular cartridge filled with all of the components (carbon, ammonia remover...) it's that tall thing with the blue in front.

How to Improve Filter Performance IMG_1771

With most filters, you'll be able to find some, or in this case, A LOT of space behind, beside and all around the filter cartridge, BIG EMPTY SPACE, as you can see.

I thought about putting a small heater inside the deep side part but didn't want to spend the money at the time (also my local Big Al's was out). You could do that or put in an airstone, anything that the big space could be good for.

How to Improve Filter Performance IMG_1773

I was lucky enough to find some large filter cartridges from another type of filter at Big Al's for a discounted price (overstocked I think). They fit PERFECTLY into the side as well as the back of the filter, but i could probably fit some more, or even some filter floss or sponge to help bacteria growth.

How to Improve Filter Performance IMG_1772

Instead of a sponge I added something called Matrix (by Seachem). It's kinda like BioBalls except small stones with millions of air pockets, they say that they're more efficient, and also, the smaller size worked for my filter.

How to Improve Filter Performance IMG_1775

Another good idea would be to take a filter sponge, cut down the center of it and attach it to the filter intake. You'd need to make sure it was open-pore and that it was cleaned often, since it could clog pretty fast. I chose not to since my filter fits into my DIY'd background.

How to Improve Filter Performance IMG_1780

These ideas can be applied to almost any filter so give it a try. I've found it to help quite a bit!

Chris

Last edited by bossyboy on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sforys

sforys

PostSubject: Re: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 5:09 pm

good tips. I see you're still using that matrix i bought for my tank. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
khaki

khaki

PostSubject: Re: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 6:59 pm

awesome
Back to top Go down
joneh

joneh

PostSubject: Re: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 pm

sforys wrote:
good tips. I see you're still using that matrix i bought for my tank. Very Happy

heyyyy stevens on this site tooo? cool
Back to top Go down
bossyboy

bossyboy

PostSubject: Re: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 11:58 am

lol, ye, and u wer talking to him 'bout mississauga water too
Back to top Go down
MbunaMan25

PostSubject: Re: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 1:54 pm

Nice idea. I do this with all my filters already.
Back to top Go down
ddyerfamily

ddyerfamily

PostSubject: Re: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Very nice step by step !

I also fill the open areas in my filters with different media.

I have pot scrubbers,sponges,ceramic rings,bio balls,floss,carbon,Legos on and on......

I have heard of many things being used in filters.

I also use sponges on filter intakes on all tanks with small fry.

Great DIY that everyone can do.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/ddyerfamily
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Improve Filter Performance   How to Improve Filter Performance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Improve Filter Performance
Page 1 of 1